Could kdecore depend on kjs?

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Mar 16 15:07:10 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 01:41:08PM +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Friday 16 March 2007 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> > i'm way more concerned about the tiny applications that somebody
> > might want to use in scripts. we already discarded the idea of using
> > kreadconfig in startkde, because it's just too slow. at least it was
> > before the core/ui split.
>
> Startkde is special as it will always be the first to hit cold caches.

yes, but only once. and given that the dependencies of kreadconfig are
pretty sure a subset of those of the rest of the session, *this* is no
concern here.

> > fwiw, there is another factor that was not considered yet: bootup
> > load penalty, i.e., with cold disk caches. then the 4ms easiliy
> > become 400ms, and this adds up quickly. one notable difference to
> > the above used
>
> Hmm, the cache is hopefully cold only once. How shall this sum up?

by the plain number of dependencies, as written in the part you did not
quote. ;)
the bottom line is, before you add a new dep, consider whether it is
very probable that a part of the session (be it kde or not) will load it
anyway and if not if there already is another dep that could do the
same. common sense, after all.