naming convention for internal methods

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 15 17:05:49 GMT 2007

hi all...

not wanting to start a huge conversation, but wanting pass this by people for
brief and informed comment:

right now we have some methods which are internal to the API but can't be put
in the Private class due to inherited classes needing access to them. without
doing convulated things like inheriting Private classes and what not, i don't
see it happening any other way as easily. kconfig has some examples of this
right now due to maintaining compatibility.

so i'd like to suggest that when such a need arrises that we have a standard,
and suitably ugly, naming convention for them so it is immediately
recognizable as such a method. specifically, i'd like to make this is the
standard naming notation for such methods:

     _internal_camelCaseName

they should reside in their own protected: block away from other normal
methods just to make it even more obvious when reading headers.

they should never be in private:, since those belong in the Private class; an
except for extraordinary life-or-death situations they should never be in
public:.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se