Could kdecore depend on kjs?

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Mar 15 12:46:30 GMT 2007

> [: Thiago Macieira :]
> The overhead is not negligible. I can tell you that right now.
>
> Each extra library loaded incurs a performance penalty at load-time.

Hm, I'm getting some suspiciously favorable results, is there something
wrong with doing:

time for i in `seq 1000`; do kde4-config; done

and then measuring and averaging the walltime delta between linked and
non-linked kjs? ldd reports 37 libs for kde4-config, versus eg. 50 for
kdialog, so the relative overhead should be more pronounced.

Unless this benchmark is useless, the results are 23.9 ms for non-linked,
versus 24.5 ms for linked call, a 1.6 ms overhead. That's on a 2 GHz
AthlonXP, and it predictably went to about 4.1 ms when I downclocked it to
700 MHz.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)