[RFC] KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 14 18:58:56 GMT 2007

> My point is: running KDE 3.5 applications inside KDE 4.0 must be
> considered normal behaviour. Therefore, for KDE 4.0 to be "complete", it
> will be "augmented" by KDE 3.5 applications. Therefore, the KDE 4.0
> applications that we do release need to be as "good" (however
> subjectively that is) as the applications that they are replacing.

IMHO For it to be considered normal behavior, the applications may behave
in a reasonably integrated manner, and provide level of integration that's
not considerably worse than a pure 3.x desktop. So you'd have to probably
ship backports of icons, at least, and make sure that things like ksycoca,
menus, mime databases, etc., integrate smoothly. I don't think this has
been taken into consideration during the recent development work.