[RFC] KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 14 18:39:26 GMT 2007

On March 14, 2007, Allen Winter wrote:
> Hereby we, the Release Team, present a draft KDE 4.0 Release roadmap which

thanks for getting this put together, RT, and thank you allen for taking the
lead in posting it here for discussion =)

it makes it very hard for me to avoid the temptation to ask for one week where
libs is generally open for a last-go reworking to catch remaining issues. we
only have mondays, really, to commit which sort of limits the # of things
that can happen. a "kdelibs week" drive could be great to shore up final
issues, perhaps in early april?

on the other hand, with my app dev hat on, i say "suck it up, libs people."
which makes my inner libs committer weep. =)

but yeah, i really like the schedule. it is, as you note, optimistic and
aggressive, but we need that right now imho.

could we also add a usability review period in there somewhere? somewhere
between feature freeze and beta? perhaps even in tandem with the feature
freeze?

this only gives a month for the review due to the string freeze, which is
pretty short.

also, defining what constitutes a new feature for the feature freeze might be
nice. i've already had to answer that one once for the kdegames people who
became very concerned that there was no way they could get the svg work ready
by June 1 in every app and that some games would, realistically, start the
svg'izing after june 1. having until the end of june for that kind of work
would probably help them quite a bit, and it's an odd sort of work: it's not
really a new feature in the sense of gameplay, but it is new code and they
have a goal to not ship apps that aren't svg-ized.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se