[RFC] KDE 4.0 Release Roadmap

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Mar 14 16:13:58 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 16:55:10 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The discussion in the marketing mailing list seems to indicate that we can
> deliver all features we promised for KDE 4.0. At least the hyped ones.

Clarifying: There is some concern about KDE 4.0 not being able to meet the
requirements of new users, or not being able to meet the expectations after
the long development cycle.

The two different opinions are, roughly:

- KDE 4.0 needs to be complete and stable, it will attract new user that might
  (based on the profiles we worked out) not be willing to accept software
  that's not completely stable or incomplete.

- KDE 4.0 needs to be finalised ASAP, release early, release often is an
  important mantra, delaying the release doesn't help the acceptance of the
  user base, the development process will smoothen when 4.0 is at the horizon.

The thing that we definitely need to get right for the release is to make the
expectations match the actual release, and clearly communicate what will
work, and what not. There is a big difference between "KDE4" and "KDE 4.0".
--
sebas

I have no right, by anything I do or say, to demean a human being in his own
eyes.  What matters is not what I think of him; it is what he thinks of
himself.  To undermine a man's self-respect is a sin.  - Antoine de
Saint-Exupery