Proposal: move libKMetaData (aka Nepomuk-KDE) into kdelibs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Mar 12 21:37:59 GMT 2007

On March 12, 2007, Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:
> it took way longer than I hoped but finally KMetaData has reached a state
> that allows a move to the kdelibs.

personally, i appreciate that you took the time it needed.

> There is still some work to be done and
> not everything is final but I think it is time that more people have a look
> at it and find weaknesses through usage.

i agree that it should be moved to kdesupport and kdelibs as you noted, and
that the Next Steps you outlined make a good amount of sense.

some comments on the API:

kmetadata/datetime.h. it's really just a namespace rather than a class, no?
would it make sense to merge the parsing functionality into KDateTime
(kdelibs/kdecore/data/kdatetime.h)? in fact, does KDateTime::fromString with
TimeFormat ISODate already do what you need? (ditto for toString)

would you be adverse to switching the code style to the kdelibs style[1]?

why are there public data members (even though they are static and const) in
ontology.h? would an accessor in the implementation that returns a string
literal be enough?

are the OTHERCLASSES and METHODS special flags in resource.h perhaps a bit
generic? could they be given names that are more explanatory or is that out
of your hands? either way a bit of a comment before each of them might make
it easier for those who come after to understand why they are there?

is the rcgen app meant to be installed? if so, perhaps it should have a less
generic name as well?

i'd also recommend not providing a BC guarantee in 4.0 for this new set of
APIs so we have the opporutnity to fix problems if they arise for 4.1.

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Kdelibs_Coding_Style

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se