Moving guidance to extragear

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Mar 12 08:01:14 GMT 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 23:25:53 Tom Albers wrote:
> Op do 8 mar 2007 14:36 schreef u:
> > We, the developers of guidance [g] would like to move guidance over to
> > extragear. Guidance is a set of system administration tools that
> > integrate into kcontrol. Guidance is written in python, using the python
> > KDE bindings. Distro-specific settings are abstracted into different
> > classes, so it's relatively easy to make guidance work on various
> > systems.
>
> Did you consider making it a part of 'main' kde?

We might consider that, but first it needs:

- Porting to KDE4 (depends on the availability of the Python KDE4 bindings)
- Testing / porting on more platforms (not only other Linuxen, but also for
  example FreeBSD)

Those two are pretty important things and would be a showstopper for a default
install. (Also, not all modules might be wanted in a default KDE, so we'll
rather leave it to the system integrators at this point).
--
sebas

To know that one knows what one knows, and to know that one doesn't know what
one doesn't know, there lies true wisdom. - Confucius