ANNOUNCE: CMake 2.4.5 will be required starting Monday, March 19th

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Mar 11 20:39:49 GMT 2007

On Sunday 11 March 2007 19:46, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sunday 11 March 2007 17:22, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > starting Monday in a week, March 19th, at least CMake 2.4.5 or newer will
> > be required for building KDE4.
>
> Thanks for not being self-contradicting with your mails a week ago and
> announcing 2 weeks before hand when the major distros actually carry a

Yes, it's now only 8 days instead of 14 days.
(to see it from the positive side: it also happens that there are requirements
introduced without any notification on the mailing lists, and I actually
think that upgrading cmake is the only component which is upgraded with
any "warning period" at all).
But there also weren't major objections to requiring 2.4.5, so I got the
impression most people already have >= 2.4.5.

> packaged version in their latest release. Oh, and for waiting until 4.3 hit
> qt-copy so people only have to do a painful upgrade one time, as was
> suggested on the other thread as well.

There is no date set for 4.3, and from Thiagos mail I had the impression that
it might just happen at any point in the next few weeks without any "warning
period", so I can't plan with this. It probably would have been "oh, from now
on qt-copy is required, so I'll post the cmake announcement for two weeks
later now".

I really think that 2.4.5 will again last for at least 6 months. For KDE 4.0
we might require a more recent version (if we want to build OS X library
frameworks, which cmake cvs currently can't do).

Bye
Alex