required CMake version is still 2.4.3

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Mar 8 22:44:24 GMT 2007

On Thursday 08 March 2007 23:09, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> >If it is possible to work on KDE with the software as it comes with your
> >distro the entry barrier to development is much lower.
>
> This "entry barrier" only exists as such because the distros *are*
> shipping cmake. If they weren't, nobody would be complaining that you
> need a newer version.

Be that as it may; the experience simply is that a lot of people only spent
time coding on kde/koffice because they can get it running quite fast.

Nobody ever said it was logical or even reasonable. But its the fact. As
Alexander said and as I have seen various volunteers say so that come on IRC
to hack.  And, sorry, real people and their opinions trump your assumptions
over their opinions every day :)

> This is the second time in as many months that you have had to intervene
> because someone unknowingly used a CMake >= 2.4.4 feature. If we are
> going to stay with 2.4.3, we should start then requiring that people use
> *exactly* 2.4.3, so as to avoid this kind of mistakes.
If you think that that is the only way to make people that hack cmake files to
honor the version, then we have bigger problems ;)

> So what's stopping us from making that announcement now?

That we actually care about the inflow of new people, and keeping of current
people doing good work in the few hours they have per day.

Maybe you forget quickly; but think back on the dbus time when people had to
compile a version themselves since most distros did not ship them.  Remember
that there were a lot less people that were committing in anything KDE4
releated?
There really is nothing worse then updating your stuff and finding out it
doesn't compile anymore and you have to waste many hours to get it to build
again.  Repeat that a couple of times and people just don't update anymore.
Again, I see this in KOffice. a lot of people don't commit anymore because the
weekly update of kdelibs was to much.

So, please. Even if you don't understand the reasoning, please accept these
reasons.
--
Thomas Zander