make khtml/misc/decoder.* public

Anders Lund anders at alweb.dk
Mon Mar 5 10:56:38 GMT 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Friday 02 March 2007 21:22, Anders Lund wrote:
> > On Friday 02 March 2007, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > Right, its pretty hard to tell the user why Quanta (and katepart)
> > > doesn't read the encoding from the file itself, if it is present.
> >
> > Noone prevents quanta from doing that, or any of you to contact
> > kwrite-devel at kde.org or #kate @ freenode and offer your help - in fact
> > that would be much appreciated.
> >
> > We would like to use *safe* encoding detecting, whereas we are hesitant
> > with guesswork (like looking at present characters).
>
> I agree.
>
> Safe encoding detection:
> * Look for Unicode BOMs

Can anybody point to a code example?

> * Look for <?xml encoding?> in the beginning of XML-documents

There are several ways of reading the (claimed) encoding from various document
formats, I have in fact had the idea to make it possible to set the encoding
from the highlight parser which seems to be an obvious place to detect it.

> * When editing HTML documents use the whole shebang

the what? /me thought shebang was "!#/path/to/shell"

In addition, there are protocol defaults, which KIO should indicate, i think
there was a short thread about this earlier (http should default to ISO8859-1
IIRC)

--
Anders

www: http://www.alweb.dk