Moving KPart args from QStringList to QVariantList

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Mar 3 11:07:54 GMT 2007

On Saturday 03 March 2007, koos vriezen wrote:
> 2007/3/3, David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
> > On Friday 02 March 2007, koos vriezen wrote:
> > > Did make me wonder why there isn't such a cache right now, eg. in
> > > konqueror it's not so uncommon certain mimes are looked up often in a
> > > small amount of time
> >
> > ksycoca -is- that cache. And in kde4 I made trader queries for a mimetype or servicetype
> > real fast, when no trader constraint is given.
>
> I understood the original post for passing the ptr was to reduce the querying
> not because ksyscoca is slow but to reduce IPC round trips, no?

There are two misunderstandings in one sentence....
1) ksycoca is a (mmap'ed) file cache, there is no IPC going on when using it!
2) you were talking about konqueror mimetype lookups, which are different
from kicker applet lookups. In particular I suppose kicker makes a trader query for
"all applets", I don't see how an applet would make a query for finding its own service,
unless it knows its name, but then it doesn't need the trader at all, it can just create
config objects right away, or if it really needs a KService::Ptr it can just look it up
by desktopPath.
=> if we want to keep talking about kicker we need to know more about its needs.