KConfig vs. QSettings (was Re: Porting problems with KMainWindow::readProperties())

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Mar 1 22:58:59 GMT 2007

On 01.03.07 23:19:14, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 01 March 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On a side note: Why does KConfig not use QSettings (at least under the
> > hood)? If there's some docs that explain the reasons please point me to
> > them, I'm just curious...
>
> KDE file layout, merging files from multiple levels (not just 2 like QSettings - see KDEDIRS, KStandardDirs etc.),
> and from kdeglobals, support for reverting to default from above level, file/group/entry immutability, need I continue? ;)

No, and thanks to the other two posts too. As I said, I was just curious
as for me the obvious thing was the KDEDIRS vs. KDEHOME vs. <whatever
else>, but I thought that would've been resolvable by adding a layer on
top of QSettings instead of re-inventing the wheel...

--
Alimony and bribes will engage a large share of your wealth.