KConfig vs. QSettings (was Re: Porting problems with KMainWindow::readProperties())

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Mar 1 11:54:28 GMT 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007, Paolo Capriotti wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Stephan Kulow <coolo at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > I don't think we want two ways to stores settings in kdecore.
>
> Yesterday I've refactored Settings to be backend-based, a backend
> being a couple of template instantiations which implement the
> serialization and deserialization logic.
> The next step (I'll tackle it this evening if I have time) is to
> implement a KConfig backend. This way my class would act as a wrapper
> for the KConfig framework, and provide the additional features, like
> subgrouping, arrays and maps, plus the more convenient syntax, with no
> change in existing configuration files.

KConfig is supposed to be the one with multiple backends.
I don't think we want an extra layer on top of kconfig - we have so much code using
the kconfig api already. And I do mean a lot.

I would much rather see an extra mechanism in kconfig for nested groups,
like the mechanism suggested by Andreas Pakulat.