RFC: Drop notice: KNetwork

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 1 09:30:26 GMT 2007

Matt Rogers wrote:
>Kopete will want UPnP support. UPnP support will need multicast sockets.
> Is it possible to subclass from QUdpSocket (or QAbstractSocketBase, if
> need be) to get this or does Trolltech intend to support this feature
> at some point in the future?

Any extension of the socket classes must be done inside QtNetwork itself.
It's simply not possible to extend QtNetwork from outside it, due to the
way it is designed. The front-end classes (QTcpSocket and QUdpSocket)
don't do anything: all of the interesting code is in QAbstractSocket and
the back-end (non-public) socket engine classes.

This is the first I've heard of multicast sockets being required for
something in KDE. It's also the reason why I did not implement it
earlier.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358