konqueror 'progress' indicator into kdelibs?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Jun 30 10:29:01 BST 2007

Hiya,

In konqueror (and all other webbrowsers) there is an indicator for
internet activity. We typically have a animating gears in plain KDE.

One thing we learned from web-apps is that users like web-services. And in
KDE we tend to integrate those more and more.  Think about marbles
wikipedia integration as a quick example.

In KOffice I want to have several kinds of services integrated as well,
and I was thinking about how to do the interaction model.  The biggest
problem I see is that the internet may be slow and thus that 'browsing'
may take longer then a user would expect from a desktop application.
As a specific usecase I was thinking about having a way to browse
openClipart.org using their webservice and showing the results directly
in a custom widget instead of something html based.

Based on this issue I want to propose we use the common "internet activity
busy" indicator in various places in KDE. People know this already and I
am sure will appreciate the familiar indicator. This would require the
animating logo as it is in konqueror to be moved up to kdelibs.

What do you guys think?
Anyone that knows where this stuff is can do it? Or tell me enough to do
it?

Thanks!
--
Thomas Zander