Adding icon cache to kdelibs?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jun 27 00:31:25 BST 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007 08:52, Rivo Laks wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval (reede 22 juuni 2007) kirjutas Alexander Neundorf:
> > No, a special case in kde4_install_icons() will be better. If there is a
> > fixed rule, we can do this in the script, then the developers don't have
> > to remember it.
>
> ATM apps install those icons like this:
>     install( FILES icon.png  DESTINATION  ${DATA_INSTALL_DIR}/myapp/pics )
> kde4_install_icons() is used like this:
>     kde4_install_icons( ${ICON_INSTALL_DIR}  )
>
> The syntaxes are quite different so I'm not sure about how easy/useful it
> is to merge them...

For the beginning I would suggest a macro KDE4_TOUCH_ICONCACHE() which we'll
need anyway in KDE4Macros.cmake.

Adding a macro which does just
install(...)
touch_iconcache()

seems to me more like hiding information than improving. The developer has
anyway to remember to do something special instead of kde4_install_icons() or
only install(FILES), so whether he has to remember the name of a special
macro (which is not standard-cmake) or that he has to use an additional
command doesn't make much difference. KDE4_UPDATE_ICONCACHE() or something
like this would even be more descriptive than KDE4_INSTALL_APP_ICON().
If this iconcache-updating is not special to KDE but the same for e.g.
Gnome/gtk it would probably even better not to implement it in
KDE4Macros.cmake but in FDOIconCache.cmake or something like this and give it
an appropriate name.

Alex