Direction arrows.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Jun 26 22:14:24 BST 2007

Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> I still did not look into kdelibs4, but in kdelibs3 this is working.
>  I cannot find the sources, but I have hacked in them and at least
> for KDE3 you should not see any reversed icons.

The three KStandardAction files have been moved to:

	trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/actions/

> Your approach is not new, it's 5-6 years old  :)

Then I haven't figured out the code :-| although I made changes to it
for icons in KDE3.

> Still, I am worried about other problems, look at the attached screen
>  shot, this is kmail with richtext enabled. Look at the icons which
> represent the align-left-center-right actions. This group should not
>  be reversed on RTL desktops, and changing the icons will be ... not
>  smart.

This is a similar issue.  If RTL text reverses these functions, Then
interchanging the functions rather than interchanging the icons is the
fix.  In this case, however, the ToolBar buttons have been reversed and
they retain the same function.

> We need to have an option which says: "this action group should not
> be reversed, it's A to the left of B to the left of C, and not A then
>  B then C".

I don't fully understand the code, but it appears that in the
KStandardActions that it is done action by action using the function:
"QApplication::isRightToLeft()" as a qualifier, so all that is needed is
to fix the code that is a problem.  These three don't appear to be
standard actions (not listed in:

trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/actions/kstandardaction_p.h

so it is the application that needs to be fixed.  This is probably best
done by using KStandardActions so I would suggest that the three
actions: AlignRight, AlignCenter, & AlighLeft be added.

In the case of KMail, note that the whole ToolBar has been reversed -- I
think that RTL does that automatically.  B, I, & U are reversed to I, B,
U.  So, if this is also not what is wanted, then it is a larger problem
since the order of the icons on the toolbar is determined by an XML
file.  So, you can fix this by editing:

	$KDEDIR/share/apps/kmail/kmcomposerui.rc

But the fix in the code is going to need to use different "*.rc" files
for RTL.  Editing by hand [patch attached] is OK if you always use
Hebrew, but some users have already reported other issues with
multi-lingual homes so it should be possible to switch from RTL to LTR
and have the icons in the correct locations in both cases.

--
JRT