RFC: Location for KexiDB and 3rdparty libs like sqlite

Jaroslaw Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Jun 25 18:38:29 BST 2007

Thomas Zander said the following, On 2007-06-25 16:21:

> What problems do you see if the kexiDB code just stays in the same subdir
> it is in now until there is a stable API?

I being lazy about this, have been really hoping the lib can stay in
koffice/kexi/.
But people outside of KOffice would want to avoid checking out entire KOffice
and/or disable compilation of apps. What are your thoughts about this
regarding, say, Flake?
I'd like to employ 'release early & release often' style during the
development, if someone is interested, just like the kdelibs had before
stabilization.

>> Other apps would not have problems with this as the support would be
>> dynamically loaded.
>
> I don't follow this line.   Do you mean the other apps will not link to
> the full kexiDb library?

It's about moving dependency on KexiDB to a plugin. So there can be configure
checks for KexiDB (with usual message "Plugin X will not be built becaue
KexiDB not found"), and packagers have to add package with appropriate.

> Question; Is it possible to have just a couple of classes public so the
> gory details of connections and drivers are all hidden from the public
> API?

Yes, that's good design pattern. The new design for KDE 4, as I plan it, is
more layered to address this. E.g. drivers/providers (plugins) require
complicated API while apps using the freamework - do not. Thus, users (of
applications) would be rather satisfied that only updating of drivers/provides
(plugins) is needed after KexiDB API version changes, while apps can still
work as these use a subset of the KexiDB API (which is also more stable part).

However, such things have to be developed and stabilized too.
During the heavy changes, users of KexiDB could be prepared to close
collaboration to get effects they expect; this is a price of integration at
relatively high level.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek