XMP, Krita, KFileMetaInfo and Strigi

Jos van den Oever jvdoever at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:21:52 BST 2007

Hi Cyrille,

I read your post on metadata in Krita and would like to point you to
the KDE4 way of handling metadata to make sure all applications
benefit from your efforts.

- getting metadata
  For retrieving metadata, one should write a strigi analyzer. Doing
so makes the data available for indexing in Strigi and Nepomuk and
KFileMetaInfo. There's a tuturial on techbase and plenty of example in
the strigi codebase.

- writing metadata
  For this there are two possibilities which should be merged at some point.
 You can write data into a file by implementing a KFileWritePlugin.
This allows you to write into the file via the KFileMetaInfo
interface. You can also annotate data via the Nepomuk interface.

I'd love to help you with this effort, since obviously XPM is an
important file format. We can even add the analyzers directly in
Strigi so all apps benefit from the get go.

Cheers,
Jos