Adding icon cache to kdelibs?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jun 22 01:48:05 BST 2007

On Tuesday 19 June 2007 12:30, Rivo Laks wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm the SoC student working on the icon cache.
> I've already made some progress, e.g. at startup of apps KIconLoader ctor
> (which is called for pretty much every app) takes 500 ms less with cold
> caches, 30 ms less with hot caches. And the loading times of individual

Cool :-)
On what machine, which app ?

> There will also be some buildsystem changes (I think these should go into
> 4.0 even if the cache itself won't). Whenever new icons are installed, the
> icon theme dir's (e.g. share/icons/oxygen/) mtime has to be updated, then
> the icon cache will pick up the changes. There's already the
> kde4_install_icons() cmake function which can easily be modified to do

How do we touch on windows ?

> that. But another function will need to be introduced for installing icons
> into app's data dir (i.e. share/appname/...). It would install the icons
> and then update mtime of hicolor icon directory. What about adding

You mean installing to kde4/share/apps/... and then touching
kde4/share/icons/hicolor/ ?

> something like kde4_install_app_icons() for that?

No, a special case in kde4_install_icons() will be better. If there is a fixed
rule, we can do this in the script, then the developers don't have to
remember it.

Alex