'strict' color mode?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 21 22:58:19 BST 2007

On Thursday 21 June 2007, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> 1. Information must never be shown via colour alone because of blind and
> colour-blind users, but colours can be used as an additional hint to
> increase artwork and usability. Applications must try to only use colour
> roles from KCS in the default setting. It is allowed to override the KCS
> colour with application-specific non-default settings.

KCS should take this into consideration. it is completely doable without any
stretch of the imagination.

> 2. KCS has been designed to meet the needs of 98% of all applications, but
> some applications (e.g. Kopete, Konversation) use more colours in their
> default setting than can reasonably be defined in the global KCS. They must

which is why i suggest KCS should eventually allow registering custom colours.
this allows KCS to manage said colours and thereby apply policies by, well,
policy.

> instead. 3. Applications with their own colour schemes must use the new
> convenience widgets for "appearance" configuration that the HCI group
> posted to this list some time ago. Until this is implemented (hopefully in
> 4.1) applications are allowed to do things differently instead.

yes, i know that my suggestion is a long term view, but it's one that i feel
actually has a chance of succeeding.

> 4. Many applications have default background images that do not work with
> light-on-black colour schemes. These applications must hide those
> background images if KCS is in "strict" mode. Again, it is allowed to
> override the KCS colour with application-specific non-default settings.
>
> You objection makes #4 impossible, so I hope you withdraw your objection.

this is indeed an issue and a much easier one to solve/address than colours.
so let me ammend my objection:

i'm fine with using it for background control, but stand by the idea that we
should not try and get applications to use it for colour settings internally
but instead encourage/require apps to adopt KCS and put all the colour
relevant logic in there instead between now and 4.[12].

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se