Detaching [QK]Process

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jun 21 09:45:33 BST 2007

On 21.06.07 10:37:41, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:31:54AM +0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat said:
> > > Not a good option I think, or do K3Process and Q/KProcess nowadays work
> > > well together? My last information on this is that they shouldn't be
> > > used in the same application because you'll loose the ability to get the
> > > signals from the started process.
> >
> > Not a good option, but your only other option is to modify the code so
> > that it doesn't need to detach.
> >
> > Your last information is correct. But I think we can make K3Process work
> > by making it start a dummy process with QProcess (so that the Qt signal
> > handler is installed), then installing a secondary signal handler in
> > K3Process -- i.e., a cascade.
> >
> can somebody create a testcase that actually shows this failure?

Unfortunately not for KDE4's Q/KProcess, but it was clearly visible in
KDevelop3. We had that problem there, suddenly external process started to
zombie out, running the app didn't work anymore. There's one or two
threads about that on this list, although I'm not sure when it was...

Andreas

--
You will be surrounded by luxury.