Adding icon cache to kdelibs?

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Jun 21 08:22:31 BST 2007

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 09:09:24AM +0200, Jens Herden wrote:
> i wrote [hey, don't cut attributions!]:
> > then start a backgraound job that does a *proper* scan of the icon
> > dirs. if the icons change,
>
> How would this work, polling information from the disk?  I am
> wondering about waking up the CPU and wasting energy just to see that
> the icons have not changed.

errm, i didn't mean to imply that the job is supposed to be persistent -
i guess i swallowed the "d" from "changed". :)
anyway, you're bringing up an interesting topic - instant change
notification. but putting a KDirWatch on all icon dirs could indeed
prove incredibly expensive, at least in the suboptimal cases (no
inotify). dunno whether it is worth it. but that can be evaluated at a
later point.