Adding icon cache to kdelibs?

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Jun 21 07:34:46 BST 2007

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 07:30:08PM +0300, Rivo Laks wrote:
> There will also be some buildsystem changes (I think these should go
> into 4.0 even if the cache itself won't). Whenever new icons are
> installed, the icon theme dir's (e.g. share/icons/oxygen/) mtime has
> to be updated, then the icon cache will pick up the changes.

that's way too error prone. you don't really expect a random gnome theme
developer to coply with this, do you? distributions would have to run
post-install scripts when installing themes.

a proper solution is "somewhat" harder and one of the primary reasons
why all previous attempts at this feature died already in the discussion
phase:
i think the way to go is always deliver icons from the cache as if it
was up to date on startup. that means whatever is in the cache or a
question mark if there is nothing. then start a backgraound job that
does a *proper* scan of the icon dirs. if the icons change, the cache is
rebuilt (incrementally, of course - it has to stay responsive). for this
to have any effect, KIcon needs a signal updated() and applications need
to act upon it (i guess this can be mostly centralized).
still think you get ready for 4.0? ;)