bug #143859. Possible security issue.

Hans Meine hans_meine at gmx.net
Tue Jun 19 16:57:34 BST 2007

Hi Raúl!

Am Montag, 18. Juni 2007 14:08:13 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
>   Someone reported a problem at the Debian BTS:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=416824 regarding desktop
> was not locking once asking system to hibernate.

Yeah, I also noticed that once and decided that screen locking was just a too
unsafe method.  (I am using a BIOS hard disk password now.)

>   The patch just changed an asynchronous DCOP call to KScreensaveIface for
> a synchronous one. Now I test it again and indeed didn't work. I find that
> locking works if using the dcop command from a konsole: "dcop kdesktop
> KScreensaverIface lock" but I did a test case (attached) that effectively
> didn't lock the desktop.

Since you did not create a KApplication, the DCOPClient !isAttached(), as you
can check for yourself.  Also, you have to call "lock()" as noted by Tobias.
Also, you are obviously interested in the blocking call() method, not send().

Attached you find an updated prog which does exactly the same as
   dcop kdesktop KScreensaverIface lock

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS