Mising KGlobalSettings::smallFont()

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jun 17 20:45:17 BST 2007

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 16 June 2007, Alex Merry <huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk> wrote
> about 'Re: Mising KGlobalSettings::smallFont()':

>>> I think it makes sense to have a 'smallest reasonable font', but the
>>> suggested method name doesn't show that it does that.
>>> Better think of a more matching name.
>
> QFont KGlobalSettings::minimizeFont(const QFont &)
>
> I like this because some fonts are smaller than other at a given "point
> size", but this method could take actual pixel size of the chosen font and
> current dpi into account.  It might also perform intelligent font face
> substitution if the original face was unavailable or inappropriate at
> small sizes.
>
> This also allows a bit other flexibility, since "small text" may need to be
> rendered fixed-width in some applications and variable-width in others.
> Still others might even try and use "decroative" fonts at that size,
> although readability in that case might suffer.

Well put. I wanted to say something like that in response to the current
implementation (i.e. if you aren't using a stock system font, how do you
know how small you can make it before you have to use the system's
"smallest font"?) but hadn't figured out how to word it yet.

It's not that I'm against the other suggestion, per-se, but this one
seems to address that issue, therefore I like it better :-).

--
Mathew
(sorry, .sig file is on the other computer)