replacing kcontrol with system settings

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jun 17 16:19:37 BST 2007

On Sunday 17 June 2007, Jonathan Marten wrote:
> "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> writes:
> > then may i suggest:
> >
> > a) someone steps up and fixes kcontrol in trunk
>
> To encourage that, would someone who knows what is required be able to
> post a quick summary of what needs to be ported and how the control

the kcm's have been moved out of the deprecated applnk directory and into
services/. for kcontrol to be functional, it needs to load the list of kcms
via KServiceTrader from this new location.

> for KControl and has made some architecture decisions, because for
> example there is a comment "root KCMs are gone", but I'm otherwise not
> sure where the effort is needed...

yes, the goal is to get rid of that fugly "Administrator Mode" button. some
guys at Mandriva (helio is heading that up) are actively investigating using
policykit to allow changes to be published from the gui run as the regular
joe user. i think it'll be very slick stuff once implemented.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se