Fixed icons rendered in compile time ?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sun Jun 17 11:57:30 BST 2007

On Saturday 16 June 2007 02:29:58 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 15 June 2007, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> > Is possible have fixed icons rendered in compilation time ?
>
> the svg's are 303mb on disk.
> the png's for all sizes are some 72mb.
>
> what would probably make more sense is to split out the svg's when we
> make tarballs as they don't get rendered properly at compile time
> anyways.

Uhm, I have some doubts about those numbers..
After removing the .svn dirs and doing a simple tar (no compression) of
the svgs I get a file size of 158 Mb.

If I run a gzip over each and every file and do the same tar (again, no
compression, just for total file size) I get a 35Mb tar.

What this means to me is that if we do a gzip of each svg (and rename the
file to the proper compressed svg extention) we actually gain some 50%
diskspace compared to the pngs.

Do note that du uses the disk block size, which is clearly wrong for at
least one filesystem that I know of.
--
Thomas Zander