KListView renaming - Usability questions

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 16:34:20 BST 2007

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for cross-posting this mail. But I need it to arrive as
well as Developers and Usability people.

I am planning to commit KListView this weekend. Probably at the beginning of
the next week. It is still at Dolphin, and will remain there, but since I
have plans to move it someday to kdeui when has been enough tested, I would
like to ask a few things.

1) Developers: What name should the class has ? As you know, it is
everything except a list view. The thing is that inherits QListView. What's
true is that if you don't enable categorizing or you ask it to be a list, it
will do everything exactly as a QListView, since it has been thought to
replace all the QListViews that you want, and add extra functionality
(categorizing). So, mainly: it is the same as a QListView, but it will let
you categorize items too. What name should it has ?

2) Usability people and Developers: I have been thinking for a while about
usability. We could even suggest something like this to Qt. Or take our way
if we want. It seems ruphy and davigno have been thinking of adding some
"shortcuts" when hovering over elements on file manager. If you are over a
file or folder, small icons appear over it, to rename it for example. I
don't think this is a bad idea, but that made me think of handicapped
people. We could provide a really interface for them (well and for users who
like speed with kbd too). My suggestion is something like:

- Click = Space: Action. If we click/space on a folder once, it opens and
shows its contents. If we click/space on a sound file, it becomes played. If
we click/space on an image / pdf whatever, it is shown.
- Ctrl + Click = Ctrl + Space: Selection. As well as Ctrl + Rubberband with
mouse.
- Ctrl + Double Click = Ctrl + 2 * Space: Rename file.

What do you think ?

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López.