replacing kcontrol with system settings

Jos Poortvliet jos at mijnkamer.nl
Fri Jun 15 12:13:01 BST 2007

On 6/15/07, David Jarvie <lists at astrojar.org.uk> wrote:

> On Friday 15 June 2007 2:45, Kelly wrote:
> > On Thursday, June 14, 2007 6:12 pm Robert Knight wrote:
> > Personally, I hated System Settings from the moment I first saw it.  It
> > practically forces the dumb Windows style click-and-close administration
> > system that causes people to stop looking at what they're clicking...
>
> The new interface is fine provided that it's truly obvious which icon to
> pick for the setting you're wanting to change. Unfortunately in practice
> there are always options which live in non-obvious places. For these, a
> tree view (such as in KControl) is a much less frustrating way of finding
> things, since you can expand more than one section and have all the
> expanded tree sections visible at the same time. With the proposed
> approach, you have to try one icon; if that turns out to be wrong, go
> back, try another - but if that doesn't seem to contain the setting
> either, and you need to go back to the first one again, it's all more
> fiddly and annoying. Yes, I know there is a search field, but personally I
> don't tend to use such things except in desperation.

You're right, a treeview has some advantages here. But a treeview doesn't
scale when each branch has too many leaves, which often is the case in
Kcontrol. You can create more branches, but there are already too many. In
other words, there is just too much to configure in KDE to be able to do
that usable with a treeview, I think. The system settings approach has some
disadvantage, but I think it has a better future.

It might look nicer (subject to the caveats Boudewijn mentioned), but I'm