replacing kcontrol with system settings

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Thu Jun 14 22:59:16 BST 2007

On Thursday 14 June 2007 16:45:47 Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> I'd like to propose replacing kcontrol with system settings in trunk.
> This is a frontend to kcontrol module with a user interface which
> scales better for users compared to the simple tree view of kcontrol.
> The UI has had usability reviews from Ellen of openusability.  It has
> been the default in Kubuntu for some time and seems to be generally
> preferred (some people are surprised to learn default KDE still uses
> KControl).  The current KControl maintainer, danimo, has agreed to the
> change.

Hrmph.  Maybe I'm just too comfortable with the old KControl interface, but I
disliked system settings enough that I uninstalled it from my kubuntu
installation and am still using the old interface, despite the fact that
kubuntu doesn't install an icon for it anywhere.

Will the old interface for KControl be maintained (I don't care if it's the
default or not) or should I just "get with the times" and start using system
settings?

Just one user,
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))