How to install library translations as libkfoo-<ABI-major>.mo instead of libkfoo.mo

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Thu Jun 14 14:56:34 BST 2007

Am Donnerstag 14 Juni 2007 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Stephan Kulow said:
> > Am Donnerstag 14 Juni 2007 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> >> It's that argument to SOVERSION that has to be part of the
> >> insertCatalog()
> >> call and the install script for l10n-kde4.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions on how to implement that? Manually?
> >
> > Do you also want to split kde-i18n by soname version combinations
> > (kde-i18n-with-kdecore5-and-kio-7-but-khtml8)? For KDE we simply have to
> > live
> > with the fact that we can't have two minor releases installed in the same
> > prefix and full stop.
>
> I'm not talking about minor releases. I am talking about major releases:
> KDE 3 and KDE 4.
>
> If you install a library from KDE 3 and the same library from KDE 4, since
> they have different sonames, they'll both install. However, they carry
> non-versioned files, like the .mo translation catalogues. Those clash.

OK, I leave out kde-imaging at this point - as I said: different use case.

For KDE3 we have kde-i18n-<language> - and it clashes big times with
tons of things in KDE4. And while it's technically possible to rename
kdelibs.mo,kio.mo and the like to ...4.mo - they would still be in kde-i18n
together with kwin.mo and you can't have two of them in the same prefix.

And so the question to ask: what is the use case of having KDE3 libs and KDE4
libs side by side? Is it to have KDE3 apps around that have no KDE4 .mo
files? Then turning back the wheel of time and splitting out
kdelibs-i18n-<language> for KDE3 could solve that.

I don't think it's not possible to have KDE3 and KDE4 in the same prefix, but
it seems impossible to hard to achieve to have them both translated out of the
box. And to spell it out: you can use -DLOCALE_INSTALL_DIR to KDE4, so
KDE4 will install its locale files somewhere else -
e.g. /usr/share/kde4/locale. What I'm unsure about atm is where it looks
first though, I have a bad feeling it might look at /usr/share/locale first.

Greetings, Stephan