How to install library translations as libkfoo-<ABI-major>.mo instead of libkfoo.mo

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Thu Jun 14 11:58:43 BST 2007

> [: Stephan Kulow :]
> For kde-imaging: change the name of the project to kde-imaging1 - that is
> the first argument to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE. Then everything that is package
> specificis installed as such.

Indeed, extra KDE packages should not be much of a problem, as they ship
with all translations in the same package, so they can do how they wish.
Perhaps it would be good to stick with the same POT file name across
releases, for convenience to translators, and install translations as
versioned in any way it fits their build system (Auto*, CMake, or other).

> [: Stephan Kulow :]
> Do you also want to split kde-i18n by soname version combinations (kde-
> i18n-with-kdecore5-and-kio-7-but-khtml8)? For KDE we simply have to live
> with the fact that we can't have two minor releases installed in the same
> prefix and full stop.

Here the problem is that of translations not being shipped together with the
libraries, so the library build system cannot install versioned translations
by itself. But, since latest translation packages are always matched to the
latest code release, what would be the problem of shipping translation
packages with an appropriate versioning list, according to which a CMake
macro would rename MO files upon installation? (Disregarding for the moment
whether translation versioning is needed for KDE modules -- eg. should KDE3
and KDE4 libs be able to live in the same prefix?)

Though, this is all just a specific issue of a more general problem of
handling translation versioning and packaging, not only for KDE, but in
general. There are already some interesting suggestions how to streamline
this process (support different package versions, decouple code/translation
releases, better handle fixed content like .desktop files...) Ubuntu is for
example making some experiments on the distribution level (and thus causing
coordination troubles upstream, but that's another matter :)

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)