Color roles, coming this Monday to kdelibs?

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Wed Jun 13 22:52:29 BST 2007

On Tuesday 12 June 2007 04:31, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 11 June 2007, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> > I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying here. You're adding color
> > roles that are meant to be used by styles, but they can't actually be used
> > by styles, but that isn't really a problem?
>
> there's a really unfortunate turn of conversation happening here. the colours
> roles proposed by the usability team are not really about widget styles, but
> rather use of colours within applications. see:
>
> 	http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf
>
> the only one of the new colour roles that i can see that might impact styles
> is the focus colour.

The API Matthew posted includes color roles that are not mentioned in
the PDF document (which by the way, is very hard to reply to since it
covers a wide range of unrelated topics, and being a PDF document it
can't easily be quoted in an email). The PDF file does however say that
one of the problems it is trying to address is hardcoded colors in widget
styles.

Matthews proposed API has a HoverTint color, and the FocusTint color
you mentioned. The API documentation suggests that FocusTint is meant
to be used for focus rectangles (drawn by the style), and suggests that
they shouldn't be used for text. These color roles are not in QPalette.
I asked Matthew whether my assumption was correct in that they were
meant to be used by widget styles, and Matthew didn't deny it.

His API also includes all the color roles in QPalette, but with different
names.

So how those color roles are named, and how styles are supposed to
be able to use those new color roles is very much relevant to this
discussion.

Regards,
Fredrik