make fromHSL public, add toHSL

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 13 19:42:00 BST 2007

Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> [ Matthew Woehlke, Mi., 13. Jun. 2007 ]
>> It isn't. IMO your color space is correctly termed H'C'Y' :-), but at
>> any rate it different from the HSL needed for khtml W3C standards and as
>> used in Windows.
>
> OK, so so the only user of making this public would currently be the Windows
> port?

Not exactly. We can do nothing and leave Windows stuck with HSV. We can
copy the khtml implementation (so now we have two implementations). HSL
only needs to be public to avoid having separate implementations for
both KColorDialog (if KColorDialog uses HSL) and khtml.

Since I'm not hearing loud noises against HSL in KColorDialog, I am
currently assuming that there will just be two implementations; a full
implementation in KColorDialog, and the already-existing half
implementation in khtml. This means no API changes and no BC changes
(and also means we can change our minds later).

Just so there is no confusion, this discussion has nothing to do with
HSY/H'C'Y'/sHSL. For that, the correct thread is:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/42976
(The current assumption there is that public API's using HSY - e.g.
darken(), contrast() - will be exposed, but nothing like toHSY/fromHSY
will be exposed.)

> And would the Windows port use 4.0, or could this then wait until 4.1?

Well, I prefer 4.0 :-). If it's private to KColorDialog, however, I
don't see that it makes much difference because only KColorDialog is
affected. I'll probably work on it later, since KColorDialog needs some
love anyway, and it will be convenient to get a couple different things
working at the same time.

--
Matthew
So, an astrophysicist, a quantum physicist, and an astrologer walk into