Color roles, coming this Monday to kdelibs?

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Mon Jun 11 22:51:56 BST 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007 00:58, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> As per the usability recommendation (1) and the original thread (2), the
> attached patch adds color roles to KDE. There are still things to do,
> like find things this breaks (I am guessing color schemes), find places
> that need to use it (anyone using hard-coded colors has buggy code
> according to u7y/a11y), and of course add something to configure them
> :-), but these are not API changes (probably not even BIC).
>
> There are probably lots of users of most of the deprecated functions and
> that is OK, they can keep using them in KDE4 :-). We /might/ want to
> kill off KGS::calculateAlternateBackgroundColor if its replacements are
> ready for KDE4.0 but that is for next week (there are only two users
> shown by LXR, one of the three not-KGS hits is only a comment).
>
> According to aseigo (3) it is OK to change where the colors are stored.
>
> Also, if anyone has better suggestions for the implementation (like, a
> way to avoid macros w/o dozens more lines of code), please share :-).
>
> 1: http://amen-online.de/%7Eolafschmidt/colors/colors.pdf
> 2: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/42908
> 3: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/42933

Would you consider reusing the names for the color roles that are
already in QPalette, so programmers who use our API's don't have
to learn two names for the same thing, and keep track of which
name is supposed to be used where?

How do you intend to pass colors (for example focus tint colors)
that aren't in QPalette down to the widget style? I'm assuming here
that you intend for widget styles to use these colors.

Have you discussed with Trolltech the possibility of extending
QPalette with these new color roles?

Regards,
Fredrik