big problem on OpenBSD wrt compiling strigi

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Fri Jun 8 21:22:20 BST 2007

I've got a big issue with strigi on OpenBSD... it was already more or
less present with the previous KDE snapshots, but it is worse.

When I look at the FindQt4 framework in cmake 2.6, and when I compare
it with what's in 3.90, I see some important differences:

Cmake's findqt4 defines QT_CORE_LIB_DEPENDENCIES, QT_GUI_LIB_DEPENDENCIES
variables. And useqt4 uses them.

This setup is sorely needed on OpenBSD: our libraries are generally not
linked together (and there are some path issues).

A program that uses this framework is sqliteman. On OpenBSD, its final
linking line ends with:
-L/usr/local/lib/qt4 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lQtGui -lpng -lSM -lICE -lXi -lXrender -lXrandr -lXcursor -lXinerama -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lXext -lX11 -lm -lQtSql -lQtCore -pthread -lz -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib/qt4:/usr/local/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib

yes, all of this comes from QT_LIBRARIES. And yes, most of this is actually
required, otherwise, it won't link.

KDE bypasses this setup, but somehow I was able to make it work by patching
FindQt4 a wee little bit. (I think that, in most cases, kde libraries that
link with QtGui also detect png and friends and link with the rest as well).
Strigi is actually worse... I think I see how to make it link, but I will
need to add the dependencies stuff.

Since those are rather intrusive changes that I can't really make simply,
I really need some help. I've glanced at the history of FindQt4.cmake...
I don't quite see whether those variables have been removed on purpose,
or whether they're a more recent cmake framework that hasn't been synced
with kde...

I can tell you that this extra setup is *required* on OpenBSD. And some
stuff needs some extra changes to compile with that (namely, the
QT_CORE_LIB_DEPENDENCIES and friends need to be added to some linking lines)
Strigi does stumble quite a lot without this...