Forthcoming changes for libsolid

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Jun 7 17:10:04 BST 2007

Le samedi 26 mai 2007, Kevin Ottens a écrit :
> [...]
>
> 3) I'd need to strip out a few features from StorageVolume (monday 4th
> june). In fact, the mount/unmount/eject features should be in a separate
> interface, since it could be applied on other type of devices (at least
> StorageDrive in case of floppy drives). Also, it would make the whole more
> portable since mount/unmount is a very unixy concept that might not exist
> on other platforms and should then be made more generic.
> My current plan is to move the eject() method to the OpticalDrive
> interface, where it actually makes sense (for instance this interface
> already have an ejectPressed() signal). And the mount/unmount state
> management in a separate interface. This interface and the methods it'll
> contains are yet to be named... Actually that's my only trouble with them,
> from a technical standpoint it should be an easy change, giving them the
> right names requires some brainstorming. :-)
>
> 4) I'd need to rework a bit a few classes, mainly AudioHw, Camera and
> PortableMediaPlayer (monday 4th june). They need to be consistent in the
> way we expose drivers/protocols information. Currently they aren't and
> they're enum based which might quickly prove to be a mistake for future
> extensibility, I'd like to switch them to a string based scheme. I still
> have to work out the details though. But for sure that'll be an API
> incompatible change. Luckily those classes are not widely used yet.
> [...]
> If no one object I'll apply the patches for (1) and (2) on monday 28th may
> evenning and start working on (3) and (4) to be able to commit them on
> monday 4th june.

As you probably noticed (or not), (3) and (4) didn't make it for the 4th june.
I got buried under work-work and couldn't make it. That said thanks to Jeff
Mitchell, the PortableMediaPlayer changes are in, remains to adapt AudioHw
and Camera to be consistent.

My new target date for all this is 11th june.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."