New QT Target Proposal

koos vriezen koos.vriezen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:41:40 BST 2007

2007/6/4, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> On Monday 04 June 2007, koos vriezen wrote:
> > It's your effort, but when talking about a device like N800 w/ 128Mb
> > or RAM, by the time you ported all KDE apps to this platform, it
> > successor probably has >2Gb of RAM.
>
> i think you're vastly overestimating both the pace of hardware advancement on
> handle devices (which, while impressive, is nowhere near what you suggest)
> and the amount of time it will take to get KDE on the system. he's already
> got it building and basically running, if not stable.

I guess you mean 'or' :-)

> > keyboard, one might get it done before there is a successor. And one still
> > can use the really good things from the internet tablet platform, like the
> > Wifi connection manager and the Apt package manager while porting. Not to
>
> as i understand it, things like the wifi connection stuff are mostly dbus
> services, so it should be trivial to interface with it from outside of an X11
> env.

Interestingly you left out the flash/real line ;-). Oh well we can
create a fake X emulator ..

> > Just a thought of course .. (but I'm not going to replacing a real
> > X-server to a fb based platform, designed for 32Mb or less)
>
> if one looks beyond just the nokia platform, it starts to make a lot more
> sense.

For small or special devices you're have a case, but then why run KDE
stuff on that. Generally, linux desktop is X-based. Follow that and
you have lots of software. Otherwise you keep on porting stuff
forever.

Nevertheless I wish the authors lots of fun (at least I enjoy working
for and on these small devices).

Koos