[RFC] Color usability time...

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Jun 4 21:16:35 BST 2007

On 04.06.07 21:00:55, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 04 June 2007 20:42:31 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > == HSL and HSY
> > In order to most closely conform to human perception of color, we
> > really should be doing operations in HSY.
>
> The reason Matthew says the above is because he is of the opinion that the
> following screenshot shows one bar for each transition that is absolutely
> of lesser quality (and unusable for the usability principles) then each
> other. (which one do you like best)
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=118013796925437&q=p4
>
> Naturally we are not doing a science class and we surely are not using
> perfect equipment[1] so we should really question the authority with
> which he states these supposted facts.
>
> 1) a CRT monitory typically has a 20% color inaccuracy (variance). Laptop
> screens are worse since they can have different backlight levels to top
> it off.

I can clearly see a difference on both my CRT and my laptop display and
to be honest I have to say that if I ask KDE to lighten the red and I
get something that is in the lower third of the left bar then thats
somehow wrong - IMHO. The right bar seems to work better wrt to lighten
or darken a given color.

As far as the question wether this is needed for KDE 4.0 I don't know,
the question is: Can this be added after 4.0 within the SIC and BIC
limits that we have?

Andreas

--
You will triumph over your enemy.