New QT Target Proposal

Benjamin Long bflong at longbros.com
Mon Jun 4 15:36:48 BST 2007

On Monday 04 June 2007 4:52:38 am Ariya Hidayat wrote:
> > So, I have a proposal. I would like to see libkde, and many kde apps,
> > ported to run on Qtopia-Core. I've already begun working on it. So far
> > I've built kdelib, kdepimlib, and kdebase on Qtopia-Core. It didn't take
> > a lot of code changes, but there are a lot of bugs. Here is a video of
> > some apps running in Qvfb:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ozRGmQPBs
>
> Very cool indeed!
>
> One curious question: since N800 runs X, what was the reason you
> choose adapting KDE to Qtopia instead of going straight the Qt/X11
> way?
>

> Regards,
>
> Ariya

Well, X11 would just be too easy :)
Really, I think it would take a lot of work to shrink KDE's UI down to
something that worked well on a handheld, although it could be done. On the
other hand, Qtopia is GPL, and has all the low level pieces designed for
handhelds from the start. So my thinking was that it was more productive to
get kde's libs, and later it's apps, running with Qtopia-core.

Benjamin Long
AKA: Bipolar