QFontInfo patch to qt-copy (was: Static Word Wrap Marker / QFont::fixedPitch() Problem)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 31 21:03:11 BST 2007

Mirko Stocker wrote:
> Matthew and I found a problem with the static word wrap marker: On my system
> (newer freetype) the marker is never drawn, regardless of the used font, and
> it's always painted on Matthew's system. We determined that the problem lies
> with QFont's fixedPitch method, which returns always false, respectively true
> with Matthew.

(QFontInfo should be used as discussed elsewhere in the rest of the
thread on kwrite, although it is/"was" similarly broken...)

For what it's worth, I checked in patch 0187 to qt-copy to use the OS-X
glyph metric ('i' vs. 'm') check for all platforms. This won't affect
font selection (e.g. in the case of fixed- and variable-width variants
of the same family), but should make QFontInfo more reliable than the
current 'not at all' situation.

The obvious downside is that this check might fail e.g. on a non-latin1
font where the latin1 characters are 'placeholders', or on some screwy
fonts that are variable width but happen to have 'i' and 'm' the same
width. (On the other hand, Trolltech obviously felt the check was good
enough for OS-X).

On the plus side however, we now have a decent chance of getting the
right answer even when the font system and/or the font itself are lying
to us :-).

(And yes, I already reported this to TT... though I don't have a TTID
yet :-(.)

--
Matthew
"Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom shaped ones,