merge phonon-Trolltech work branch back to trunk

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Tue Jul 31 16:15:54 BST 2007

Hi,

as many of you might have seen there's a work branch in svn
(http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/phonon-Trolltech/kdelibs/phonon/) where
Thierry, Zack and I implemented the changes we discussed last week here at
the TT office in Oslo.

What has changed:
- Audio-/VideoPath removed in favor of a Path class that is IMHO easier to
  use and more intuitive than what was there before. Porting effort for
  typical code:
    AudioPath *path = new AudioPath;
    media->addAudioPath(path);
    path->addOutput(output);
      --- becomes ---
    Path path = Phonon::createPath(media, output);
  The concept of inserting effects into a path stays as before, but with a bit
  more convenience added.
- Implicit mixing is removed. That means you cannot do
    MediaObject m1, m2;
    AudioOutput out;
    Phonon::createPath(m1, out);
    Phonon::createPath(m2, out);
  Mixing will be readded after 4.0 in the form of a specialized mixer class.
- Substream selection is disabled for 4.0 (it has never been implemented up to
  this point anyway).
- Video effects are removed in favor of a way to access the video frames and
  manipulate them with an image manipulation framework (guess who's the best
  person to work on this :-) )

Why I need to do those changes now:
- Those changes make Phonon more flexible for future feature additions which
is an important point for TT (for me too, but before TT started supporting
Phonon I always had to follow the design decision "expect only few people
with little time to extend and maintain Phonon" which is void now)
- The changes are source and binary incompatible, so nothing to do after 4.0

What KDE gains:
With Phonon flexible enough for TT's needs, Phonon gets developers that
enhance and maintain Phonon; not only for Linux but also all other platforms
Qt supports (as far as that is possible). That also relieves me of a bit of a
burden as I'm currently the only one that has takes all the responsiblity for
Phonon.

I'd like to merge soon. Let me know what you think and also whether it's ok to
merge on a day other than monday (I won't be able to merge next monday at
least).

	Matthias
http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de