no simple way to print a QTextDocument in KDE(?)

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Fri Jul 27 23:54:43 BST 2007

On 26 July 2007 06:04, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007 04:06:53 Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> > Why not simply printing to a PostScript stream (in memory or on disk)
> > using QPrinter then sending *that* to KPrinter?
>
> The biggest problem with kprinter right now is that it doesn't work well
> with PDF.  And postscript only supports a subset of features from PDF.

Well, to be honest, I fail to see how that is (but it's true I didn't visit
the QPrinter API since Qt4 appeared, to see what's new there -- yeah, I know,
scandalous, but spare-time sixpacks are backorder in stores near my
house --).

KPrinter has-a QPrinter. If QPrinter supports PDF better than Q3Printer,
KPrinter should too. Right now PDF is printed to PS then sent to printers
anyways. This is, for now, mandatory. Let's hope that with support (already
hinted) from manufacturers, we will be able to switch to direct PDF printing
in 2 to 5 years.

Generating PDF as final product is another history. Up to know, we used ps2pdf
from the ghostscript suite. We definitely will have to get to native PDF
generating ASAP. Code is always welcomed.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org