xdg question w.r.t cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jul 25 00:16:07 BST 2007

On Tuesday 24 July 2007 18:56, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> For KDE, the script is already correct. We should NOT use the environment
> variables. We should completely ignore them.

Ok, understand.dg

> For a third-party application, I also recommend to stick to one's prefix.
> If the user chooses a prefix that is not /usr or /usr/local, he's got a
> reason for that and he'll have to adjust the environment variables.
>
> For a binary application installing and using XDG, I'd say ignore
> completely the variables and install directly to /usr or /usr/local.

Yes, I meant, let's say you are writing a non-KDE application.
Would it make sense for you to do the following

find_package(Xdg)

do this and that...

install( mimetypes, icons ...)

xdg_update_icon_cache()
xdg_update_mimetype_cache()

exec_program(${XDG_DESKTOP_MENU_EXECUTABLE}  ... )

Or would you think " No ! These are completely unrelated items and shouldn't
be handled in ONE file called FindXdg.cmake !"

So ?

Alex