KDE development with git

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Jul 13 13:21:34 BST 2007

Stephan Kulow wrote:
>Am Freitag 13 Juli 2007 schrieb Simon Hausmann:
>> > So, no git.kde.org.
>>
>> It's sad to see a request for a playground area just being shut down
>> like this with non-technical arguments.
>
>I see the mentioning of "playground area" here for the first time. And
> the reasons not to do it _are_ of non-technical level. Technically a
> lot is possible. It just doesn't make sense - non-technically.

People weren't asking for a playground area. They were asking for an
official area where they could develop their applications. And there were
technical arguments in my other email (point #2: scripty, EBN and
Coverity).

Setting up a playground area is easy. But the users of that area must be
aware that it may be erased and reset at any time -- just like
svn.kde.org was before we did the final switch.

For one thing, I think it would be interesting to have git.kde.org and
hg.kde.org[1] with the history for a couple of modules, just so that we
can play with the tools and learn them. And also to find the conversion
mistakes and help the tools' developers in fixing their bugs -- like we
did to Subversion.

That's a playground area.

[1] Here you can see my preferences for Mercurial and Git.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358