KDE development with git

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 12 15:04:23 BST 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> So if we have separate svn depots rather then one massive one we are
> suddenly breaking up the community?

i don't think most people to "svn co svn://svn.kde.org/trunk/" right now
anyways, so .. .no. as long as the url scheme remains sensible it should be
fine.

> Having one massive depot doesn't make a community.

i didn't say it did. but having more technology to learn to get involved
degrades the community.

(btw, you've set up a straw man with your email here ;)

> And what about all the third party apps?  Are they
> not part of the community because they are not in our one depot?

the bald fact of the matter is that those apps do get less attention, do get
less testing, do get less help with code and do get fewer translations, etc.
so ... yes. they are benefiting less from the community that exists.

it's sort of like a city with outlaying towns. there are benefits to living in
the countryside and many choose to do exactly that; but more and more people
choose to live in cities for the benefits that come with increased population
density.

but here's another thing to consider: if kfooapp is in its own repo, but it is
using tools you are already familiar with are you more apt to grab it's
source and hack on that bug you noticed? what if kfooapp is using a vcs you
have no clue about... are you then more or less apt to check out its leading
edge development, contribute patches, etc? and that's the issue...

it's even an issue for those of us involved, imagine those that aren't yet
involved who now feel the need to get involved and would then need to learn
not only svn or git, but both to truly be involved ...

we'd also need to invest more time and effort into the tutorials on
techbase ... etc.. it has a lot of costs associated.

vcs, bug trackers, etc are part of the language of the community. the more
unified they are, the greater the flow of effort across the community can be.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se