KDE development with git

Benjamin Reed rangerrick at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 15:00:40 BST 2007

On 7/11/07, Luciano Montanaro <mikelima at cirulla.net> wrote:

> Well, it's easy to create branches, as you say, but merging is more or less
> the same as in CVS, that is, quite painful, when you want to merge stuff
> more than once.
>
> At least, until SVN gets the merge tracking feature (planned for SVN 1.5;
> how far will it be?).

There is a tool in svn contrib called "svnmerge.py" which does most of
the work of branch-tracking.

You initialize svnmerge in your tree, saying "I want to monitor
changes from the branch/trunk <foo>" and it will let you track merging
revisions from it and all that fun stuff.  If you initialize it on the
other side as well, you can do 2-way merging between a feature branch
and trunk.

I'm sure it won't be as fast as the final 1.5 tracking feature, but it
gets the job done and lets you work off on features without losing
track of development that's going on in trunk.