KDE development with git

Paolo Capriotti p.capriotti at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 18:27:50 BST 2007

On Wednesday 11 July 2007 18:32:17 Josef Spillner wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007 17:59:43 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > i think in a few years time we will need to make a switch to such a
> > system to help accommodate development in areas where network isn't
> > readily available in the way that svn requires. until then ....
>
> Git doesn't behave differently from SVN when no network is available.

That's not quite true.

> SVK and maybe git-svn (if it's the same thing) do help while keeping SVN.

Yes, provided you don't publish your repository, because git-svn requires you
to rebase your local git commits on top of the svn repository, and that may
break commits done in another git repository.
A middleware tool sitting between a git and an svn repository is probably
possible to write, but no such thing exists at the moment, AFAIK.
I don't know much about SVK, but I think it has the same limitations as
git-svn.

Paolo